Jailbreak at Kuje prison as two inmates escape

0

image
Charles Okah still in our custody, says NPS.
Two accused persons on remand at the Kuje maximum Prison in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Friday escaped from the jailhouse, the Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS) confirmed yesterday.

But one of the high profile inmates –Charles Okah – remained behind bars yesterday contrary to speculations earlier in the day that he was among the escapees.
Charles,younger brother of jailed former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, is standing trial for allegedly masterminding the 2010 Independence Day bombing in Abuja.
The NPS Public Relations Officer, (PRO), Francis Enobore, who confirmed the jail break said: “There was an incident at the prison on Friday night where two Awaiting Trial inmates escaped but it has nothing to do with Charles Okah.”

He gave no details of how the jail break happened but said the Comptroller General of Prisons had ordered investigation into the incident.

Enobore said sister security agencies had been informed about the escape to assist in re-arresting the run-away suspects.
On Okah, he said: “Charles Okah is still in safe custody in Kuje Maximum security Prison.
“The Controller General himself came when the news was trending. I drove down here myself just to confirm what I was told.
“Actually yesterday (Friday) we had an incident where two awaiting trial inmates escaped from custody.
“The CGP has already directed a preliminary investigation to be carried out.
“The officers doing the investigation are in the prison yard now combing everywhere to find out how they escaped.
“Throughout the night our armed men and other security personnel that were deployed to search the nearby bush around the prison unfortunately came back this morning (yesterday) but have not been able to find the two prisoners that escaped.
“I can tell you that we maintain good relationship with other security operatives to recapture the prisoners.
“CG has directed that detailed account of what happened should be forwarded to his office soonest.
“And he has promised that any staff found wanting will not be spared and that such staff will be made to face the law. The two prisoners that escaped have no business with Charles Okah.”
Okah,last February, sued the federal government for allegedly violating the rights of inmates at the Kuje Maximum Security Prison.
He wants the court to compel government to pay him N350 million damages for alleged violation of his fundamental rights.

Share.

Comments are closed.