A staff of an electricity distribution company has been electrocuted in Idimu- Ikotun, Lagos, western Nigeria. The 42-year old victim, Labiru Badmus, was assigned to carry out some repairs on an electricity pole in the area and after he climbed the pole, electricity supply was restored and he was electrocuted. The tragic incident happened at the weekend and his charred body was deposited at the mortuary at Yaba, Lagos.
Badmus’ family is crying foul over his death, alleging that he was deliberately murdered by his colleagues who switched on the light while he was on top of the pole. P.M.NEWS learnt from the family that Badmus who hailed from Kwara State, was to be promoted this week as a senior staff of the company before the incident happened.
The family wondered why the same people who sent him to work on the pole restored the light that eventually electrocuted him. They also alleged that after the incident the team that went to carry out repairs with him abandoned him there until someone else rushed him to the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi, where the doctors certified him dead. Narrating what happened, the brother of the deceased, Fatai Badmus said before the late Badmus left their Ikotun office with other staff, the transmission light was switched off. He said while he was trying to fix the faulty wire, the transmission light was restored whereas they knew that he had gone to the area to work.
Fatai said he later received a call and was told what happened and he traced him to Igbobi where he was confirmed dead. The late Badmus was married and had three kids and his wife, Ganiyat is heavily pregnant. When our reporter visited his house at Biodun Muhammad Street, off Council Bus Stop in Ikotun, sympathizers were seen consoling his wife who was also surrounded by members of the family.
What the wife could only say was that she suspected that her husband was murdered.
Following the incident, the landlords and residents trooped to the electricity distribution company at Ikotun to protest.