spot_img
Sunday, May 24, 2026
spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
HomeSportsUsyk Overcomes Early Scare to Stop Verhoeven and Retain Heavyweight Titles

Usyk Overcomes Early Scare to Stop Verhoeven and Retain Heavyweight Titles

Heavyweight boxing champion Oleksandr Usyk defended his titles in a dramatic and controversial fashion on Saturday, stopping kickboxing legend Rico Verhoeven with just one second left in the 11th round in Egypt.

Read more: Usyk Overcomes Early Scare to Stop Verhoeven and Retain Heavyweight Titles

Fighting in the shadow of the Great Pyramid of Giza, Verhoeven stunned the Ukrainian champion, appearing to be ahead on the scorecards before Usyk dropped him and secured the stoppage.

“I thought it was an early stoppage, but in the end, it’s not up to me,” Verhoeven told DAZN. “I wanted the referee to let me go out on my shield or at least let me finish the 12th. I felt like we were even.”

Verhoeven expressed gratitude for the opportunity and revealed that Usyk had already offered him a rematch. “I’m super proud of my performance, and hopefully the boxing world will embrace me as a boxer,” he added.

Despite facing world champions like Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua, and Daniel Dubois, Usyk arguably endured his toughest heavyweight bout against Verhoeven, who had boxed only once before, in 2014. The Dutch kickboxing icon surprised many by troubling Usyk with his unorthodox style and fierce aggression.

“I know right now my fellow Ukrainians, including my daughter, are in bomb shelters. She messaged me, saying, ‘Papa, I love you, you will win,’” said an emotional Usyk, who retained the WBA, WBC, and IBF belts. “Thank you so much, Rico. You are an amazing fighter. Thank you to your team and to my own. My wife, I love you. You are my light and my heart. This was a hard, good fight.”

Verhoeven’s awkward movement, relentless pressure, and powerful right hand troubled Usyk for much of the fight, with the champion appearing sluggish at times. The bout drew a star-studded crowd ringside, including Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, Terence Crawford, Gennady Golovkin, Anthony Joshua, and Andy Ruiz.

In the 11th round, as Verhoeven began to tire, Usyk landed a fierce uppercut that sent the Dutchman to the canvas. With only seconds left in the round, Verhoeven got back up, but Usyk quickly unleashed a barrage of punches, forcing the referee to step in and call off the fight—even as Verhoeven remained on his feet. The timing of the stoppage sparked immediate debate, especially with Verhoeven likely ahead and so little time left in the round.

Verhoeven had started strong, landing heavy right hands early. While Usyk found some rhythm in the fourth round, he struggled to take control for much of the fight. Only in the closing moments of the 11th did Usyk finally assert himself with a decisive knockdown and follow-up assault.

After the fight, Germany’s WBC mandatory challenger Agit Kabayel entered the ring to issue his challenge: I have waited so long for this fight. I am ready, and I think Germany is ready, too. Let’s do it in a German stadium.

Usyk responded: Let’s do it, no problem. I am ready, brother.

(With AFP)

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_imgspot_imgspot_img

Most Popular

Join our WhatsApp Group