Properties worth millions of naira were on Tuesday destroyed as the generator house of the Christ Embassy Church on Oregun Road was ravaged by fire. The fire started around 6:20 pm, with men of the Lagos State Fire Service racing to the scene to quell the fire before it wreck further damage. By the time the fire was put out, it has succeeded in burning the entire generator room, housing several giant generators worth millions of naira.
Director, Lagos State Fire Services, Rasak Fadipe said there were 14 mighty driven generators in the room and that they were all burnt.
The Christ Embassy outbreak of fire involved the generator room with 14 mighty diesel driven generators, a lot of diesel and PMS storage tanks, the power house with many armoured cables and many big AC compressor machines,” he said, saying these multi-million equipment were razed by the fire. He said fire service officials battled very hard before they could put out the fire which raged on for about three hours, adding that “we didn’t allow the tanks to burst. And we also prevented the fire from spreading to the air conditioner house. When my men arrived the scene, the church restricted them as they wanted to take over the affairs of putting off the fire. I had four fire trucks on ground from Ilupeju, Isolo, Ikeja and Alausa with 10,000 tonnes of water each and 18 factory-fitted generating sets to combat the inferno,” he said.
General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Femi Oke Osanyintolu said there was no casualty, but noted that one of the fire service men sustained injury while the church lost a number of its generating sets and properties. He said emergency officials battled hard to quell the fire, which was eventually put out. In the last few days, there have been series of fire disasters in Lagos State, with properties worth millions of naira destroyed.