Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during a recent attack on schools in the Oriire area, while the exact number of missing pupils is still being determined.
Read more: Oyo School Attack: Seven Teachers Abducted, One Killed — MakindeMakinde made this disclosure on Sunday while briefing journalists on the security situation, following the invasion of several schools by suspected gunmen. The governor had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state to receive updates on the incident.
He revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, and that security agencies have already arrested six suspects from the local community, as well as three other persons of interest connected to the case.
According to Makinde, the attackers are suspected to be members of armed groups fleeing military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West. “With the pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” he explained.
The governor said he has been in communication with authorities in other states regarding the growing security threat, warning that terrorists displaced from conflict areas may try to exploit regions with weak security. The problem is, when there’s pressure in one place, we must be ready to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing from those areas, he stated.
Makinde also disclosed that preliminary intelligence suggests some of those arrested may have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities. “Information available indicates that about six individuals have been arrested locally, some of whom are believed to be informants. Three other individuals of interest have also been apprehended,” he added.
He emphasized that the state government would not rely solely on military action to address the crisis, pointing out that consultations are ongoing with religious and community leaders, including the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools is owned by the church. We have decided not to adopt only a kinetic approach. We are engaging with leaders, elders, and religious authorities, especially at the Baptist Convention, he said.
Makinde urged residents to remain calm and assured the families of the abducted victims that efforts are underway to secure their safe return. We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our power to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely, he assured.
Describing the situation as very difficult and challenging, Makinde announced that the state government will begin holding daily press briefings to keep residents updated on rescue operations and ongoing security measures.







